Sunday, February 14, 2010

Inconclusive Psuedo-Scientific Postscript

I fear this postscript will appear to be an example of the very thing I was criticizing in my next to last post. Neverthless, it's important to me that I make clear that I do not approve of the word nigger as a description of African-Americans. (Or is it "blacks"? Or "people of color"? See, everywhere you step around this issue, whether you zig or whether you zag, there's always some other can of worms to trip over. But I digress.) That is, it is a word that I would not allow my children to use in this way. I grew up in the South where the word is prevelant, and I applied it quite liberally as a lad. But now, as a semi-responsible adult and (most importantly) a Christian, I try not to use words with the conscious intention of insulting, shaming, defrauding, or otherwise oppressing human beings. And I do recognize that the word nigger has historically been used in this way.

Now then, that being said, the fact remains that the word-gestapo has a noxious, misanthropic, and devious agenda, and giving in to their intimidation is cowardice and results in cultural and intellectual death.

No comments: